Caterpillar develops three prototype lithium-ion batteries for off-highway equipment
As part of the company's strategy to support users during the energy transition to a lower-carbon future, Caterpillar has developed 48-volt, 300-volt, and 600-volt batteries for the off-highway industry.
Leveraging expertise across Caterpillar's global network of technical centres in the U.S., U.K., China, and India, the program focuses initially on battery solutions for equipment used predominantly in industrial applications.
The battery range uses lithium-ion technology and features a modular design to optimize performance and packaging. Furthermore, they have been engineered with sustainability in mind throughout their lifecycle, with the potential to reuse and recycle at the end of life.
The development program also encompasses inverters, motors, electronic controls, digital services, and other critical technologies to deliver the performance, reliability, durability, maintainability, and long-term value needed for equipment buyers working in harsh operating environments.
Caterpillar will showcase prototypes of its battery technologies at bauma 2022.
Caterpillar has committed that 100 percent of its new products through 2030 will be more sustainable than the previous generation, which is reflected in Caterpillar's lineup of industrial-power solutions and integrated services finely tuned for owners of third-party equipment powered by Cat engines.
"Improved sustainability is a journey, not a destination, and one size doesn't fit all in determining the appropriate power solution for equipment owners," says Steve Ferguson, senior vice president of Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems. "Our offerings can help customers and end users start improving the sustainability of their operations today through high-efficiency engines, fuels and digital solutions now available for the job site, by extending value and reducing waste over the lifecycle of equipment they already own, and by powering the next generation of equipment with innovations precisely configured for the job site."
Caterpillar supplies a wide spectrum of solutions and expertise that helps contractors achieve their goals for a low-carbon future.
- Caterpillar offers a full lineup of diesel engines from 11 hp (8.2 kW) to 2,100 hp (1566 kW) that meet EU Stage V and U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final emission standards while delivering ideal performance and low operating costs.
- Cat diesel engines can run on renewable liquid fuels and have accommodated the use of biodiesel and HVO for over a decade. In June, Caterpillar announced that Cat C-Series engines used to power Sandvik mobile crushers and screeners can run on renewable and alternative fuels including hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO) certified to EN15940 or ASTM D975.
- Caterpillar offers an integrated suite of connected solutions that provide ideal visibility and actionable intelligence to help optimize engine efficiency.
- The global Cat dealer network provides a full suite of fleet maintenance and services backed by genuine Cat parts to help increase the efficiency and sustainability over the lifecycle of equipment.
- Cat dealers offer a range of remanufacturing and rebuild options that return components at the end of their initial serviceable lives to like new condition, reducing waste, and minimizing the need for raw materials, energy and water to produce new parts.
100 North East Adams Street