2021 GMC Sierra offers new trailering tech including jack-knife alert, trailer length indicator
The 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 and Sierra Heavy Duty will offer several new available features that build on the trucks' suite of customer-focused trailering technology.
"We know that our Canadian Sierra HD customers purchase their trucks for towing," said Michael MacPhee, GMC Canada brand director. "Whether our customers tow a boat, RV, off-road toys or anything in-between our 2021 Sierra's new and enhanced available trailering tech features can help drivers tow like a pro.
New or enhanced trailering tech available on both 2021 GMC Sierra light-duty and heavy-duty models includes:
- Trailer Length Indicator: New for 2021, when enabled and driving forward with the turn signal activated, the center console screen displays a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer and shows when other vehicles are present and may interfere with a lane-change maneuver.
- Jack-Knife Alert: New for 2021, Jack-Knife Alert tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle. If the front of the trailer approaches the rear of the vehicle, an alert is displayed when there may be a potential jack-knife situation.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Rear Trailer View has been enhanced to include guidelines that assist when backing a trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator to show the relationship between the truck and compatible trailer. Rear Trailer View requires the customer-installed available GM auxiliary accessory camera.
- Rear Side View enhancement: When driving forward on the 2020 GMC Sierra, Rear Side View provides a split view of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer that is automatically biased based on the trailer's angle. In the 2021 GMC Sierra, drivers will have access to this view while driving in reverse, making it easier to see surrounding vehicles and objects while positioning a trailer.
- Sierra HD Cargo Bed View enhancement: New Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance is now available, which can be helpful for aligning and hooking up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
Additional updates for 2021 GMC Sierra 1500
Other additions to the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 include increased availability of the MultiPro Tailgate on SLE and Elevation trims, as well as a new selection of colours. New available features on the GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 include 20-inch tires and an off-road high-clearance step.
The available 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, which provides an ideal balance of performance and efficiency with 460 lb-ft of torque and best-in-class horsepower while offering an estimated fuel consumption rating of 7.8 L/100km highway, is a popular choice for GMC Sierra customers.
Additional updates for 2021 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty
New additions to the 2021 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty include enhancements to the trucks' popular premium trims. HD Surround Vision and Bed View camera technology are now standard on Denali. The new Sierra HD Denali Black Diamond Edition will have several unique features, including exclusive 20-inch high-gloss black wheels and new power-retractable assist steps.
Similar to the Sierra 1500, the Sierra Heavy Duty AT4 will now have available 18-inch Mud Terrain tires and an available off-road high clearance step accessory.
Other additions to Sierra HD include making the MultiPro Tailgate standard on SLE and three new colours.
More from Trucking & Transportation
A bottleneck of haulers waiting to be loaded is inefficient. Idle machines burn unnecessary fuel, increase maintenance costs and decrease resale values when you're ready to trade them in.
When you pair the new Volvo EC950F crawler excavator and A60H articulated hauler, you can load trucks faster. The EC950F can utilize a 10-yard bucket to fill a 60-ton capacity A60H in only four passes — reducing passes lowers fuel consumption and drastically speeds up cycle times to keep your haulers moving. See how the massive EC950F and A60H improve cycle times and more to boost your profitability.