Construction awards to recognize companies that are proactively addressing issues of equity, discrimination and harassment
Nominations open for BCCA’s Annual Builders Code Champion Awards
The BC Construction Association (BCCA), with the support of Minerva BC, opened nominations for the 2nd annual Builders Code Champion Awards, which celebrate BC companies that are proactively addressing issues of the issues of equity, discrimination and harassment in BC's construction sector.
The Champion Awards recognize companies that are taking proactive measures to increase equity, diversity and inclusion in their workplaces, while also working to eliminate discrimination, hazing, bullying and harassment. Nominated individuals and organizations must also demonstrate their commitment, leadership and action towards advancing and retaining women in their company as part of the provincial goal of achieving 10 percent tradeswomen by 2028.
"We want to recognize the efforts of industry innovators that are creating safe and healthy environments for all on site, regardless of gender, race, religion, or ethnicity," said Chris Atchison, President, BC Construction Association. "They serve as great examples to companies of all sizes that there are easily implemented and effective measures they can take to increase worker retention."
The nomination process for the Builders Code Champion Awards will be open from June 4 to October 28th, 2020, featuring a new streamlined, easy-to-use, online application process and form available here.
"Winning a 2019 Champion Award really motivated Chinook Scaffold to find additional ways to promote the inclusion of women in the workplace," said Wendy Gaskill, Corporate Safety Management Team, Chinook Scaffold. "It has opened doors for us to partner with training institutions and provided collaboration opportunities with other forward-thinking companies. We commend the BCCA and the Builder's Code for recognizing and addressing the under-representation of tradeswomen in BC."
The Builders Code Champion Award categories include:
- Recruiting & Hiring Champion: Recognizes companies that: hire the best talent based on skills, experience, and attitude; work to attract diverse candidates; look for ways to remove barriers that hold them back; and compensate all employees at fair market value regardless of gender, race, religion, or ethnicity.
- Workplace Culture Champion: Recognizes companies that: commit to a respectful, safe and inclusive workplace culture; encourage employees to recognize their role in that culture; and hold employees and sub-contractors accountable, ensuring a work environment free from harassment, hazing, and bullying.
- Community Champion: Recognizes companies that: promote career opportunities for women in the skilled trades; support their tradespeople to mentor others; and promote education, awareness and training that positively impacts their community, company and employees.
- Initiate of the Year: Recognizes companies that: introduced diversity policies this year; are committed to building an Acceptable Worksite; and are working to create a construction sector that works for everyone.
- Contractor of the Year: Recognizes companies that: are fully committed to achieving an Acceptable Worksite and building a diverse workforce where all employees are able to perform at their best and reach their full potential.
"Since the 2019 awards, the Builders Code has extended more training for our foremen and supervisors, which has continually opened up the conversation of ensuring all worksites are acceptable," said Taylor Manhas, Safety Coordinator, Westcana Electric. "We would like to thank the Builders Code for recognizing the gap, providing measures to ensure acceptable worksites and promoting women in trades throughout our construction industry."
The 2nd annual Builders Code Champion Awards will be judged by a panel comprised of Minerva BC, the BCCA and the Builders Code Governance Committee, with the celebration event tentatively scheduled for December 2020, depending on Provincial Health Officer orders on mass gathering.
As one of the latest models in the R2-Series excavator lineup, the Bobcat® E88 delivers durability, performance and quality for more productivity. Technically speaking, it's a compact machine, but it brings big performance with its redesigned engine and optimized lift performance, plus undercarriage and counterweight improvements. All these enhancements make this excavator one of the highest-performing models in its size class. With impressive over-the-side lift capacity, you can dig with greater confidence over the side of the machine. Put it to the test against similar models from other manufacturers. You'll see that the E88 can outwork the competition.