Technical Safety BC releases State of Safety and Annual Report for 2019
These reports feature stories and data on hazards, incidents, and safety management of technical systems in British Columbia
Technical Safety BC has released itsand for 2019. These reports document their work over the past year through stories and data on hazards, incidents, and safety management of technical systems in British Columbia.
Here are some of the highlights from 2019 detailed in the State of Safety and Annual Report:
- 600 incidents reported to Technical Safety BC - up over 2018, reflecting more awareness among the public and contractor community about the importance of reporting.
- Processed and assessed more than 236,000 permits, a 5% increase compared to 2018.
- 555 compliance & enforcement actions undertaken by Technical Safety BC to address unsafe work and/or individuals and companies working without the proper permits or certifications.
- 67 investigations into incidents completed to understand root causes and assist prevention efforts.
- Applied artificial intelligence models to four technologies, increasing as-found high hazards by 117.7% in Q4 2019 compared to Q4 2018.
The reports also profile key initiatives Technical Safety BC undertook in 2019, including proposing the introduction of a new safety code for the design, maintenance and operation of amusement rides and devices; certification renewal for electrical field safety representatives and a renewed commitment to education efforts to drive behaviour change to address safety hazards around the province.