Volvo to release two new asphalt pavers at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020
New engine technology and service features simplify usage for operators
Volvo Construction Equipment will debut two new asphalt paver models for its North American line-up at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020 - the P5110B tracked and P5170B wheeled pavers. Built for both heavy commercial and light highway tasks, the machines offer easy maintenance and strong performance coupled with fuel savings.
The 5000B series is powered by the latest Volvo D6 Tier 4 Final engine, the same engine used in models like the Volvo L60H-L90H wheel loaders. Engine speed, torque and fuel consumption are optimized to provide the best performance and fuel efficiency, averaging 3.7 gallons per hour for the 5110B and 3.3 gallons per hour for the 5170B. Additionally, the Volvo engines have low vibration and extremely quiet operation, around 79.2 dBa.
The P5110B and P5170B pavers are fitted with a large capacity hopper to ensure continuous paving, while durable rolled wings help prevent material build-up and cut cleaning time. Once loaded, sonic sensors regulate the flow and delivery of material. The P5170B also has the option of front wheel assist for added traction and grade-ability.
Both models come with an UltiMat160 screed, which features extensions that can adjust paving width hydraulically from eight feet up to 16 feet. The screed's front-mounted extension supports head-of-material control in the auger channel, further ensuring a quality finish. The screed's optional bolt-on extensions provide high quality paving up to 18 feet wide. They can also be added or removed quickly, due to Volvo's quick coupling system.
These models also simplify serviceability due to ground-level access to common service areas, filters, hydraulic test ports and fuel/DEF tanks. Greaseless bearings in the auger and conveyor and wear parts in the hopper that are easy to access and replace also make servicing these machines easy.
Other features that support productivity include:
- Standard three-phase AC power screed heating system - fast screed heat up times with a lower amperage requirement from the generator.
- Low deck height - allows for safer and easier communication between crew and operators.
- Priming function - raises engine speed, runs the conveyors and augers, and provides material to the screed.
- Screed lock - holds the screed in place until new material is introduced, avoiding marks or bumps in the mat.
- Simple controls - grouped by function and backlit for easy identification.
- Operator comfort - the fumes extraction system directs smoke and fumes away from the operators.
- Automatic track tensioners - ensure correct track tensioning for performance and durability.
Searching for the best-performing excavator? Your search ends here. We tested the Volvo EC350E and EC380E against a leading competitor in three different tests: trenching, truck loading and lifting capacity at reach. The results show a 20% difference in cost-per-ton, a 15% difference in tons-per-hour and a 12% difference in both operating costs and lifting capacity. See the results and put an end to your search for the best excavator.