$20 million investment by province of B.C. to boost mining industry
Funding will help speed up permitting and improve safety
The province of British Columbia continues to act on the recommendations of the BC Mining Jobs Task Force and has released the What We Heard report from public consultation on proposed changes to strengthen the Mines Act.
"Our government is spending $20 million to act on the recommendations of the BC Mining Jobs Task Force and to speed up permitting and improve safety in the mining sector," said Bruce Ralston, Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources. "As the newly appointed minister, I look forward to building on the work we have done so far to strengthen the mining sector and create good jobs for people throughout the province."
The Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources has published a What We Heard report as a followup to the public comment period in fall 2019 on proposed changes to strengthen the Mines Act. The report's key findings indicate:
- the environment and human health are top priorities for British Columbians;
- respondents want mines held accountable to follow the rules, with appropriate enforcement action;
- there needs to be clear separation between permitting and health, safety and enforcement for decision makers;
- support for the establishment of an independent oversight unit; and
- permitting processes need to be more efficient and result in more timely decisions.
In recognition of the foundational role mining plays in B.C.'s economy, Ralston will start a provincial tour by visiting two mines in the Kamloops area — New Gold Inc.'s New Afton site and Teck Resources Ltd.'s Highland Valley Copper Mine.
Searching for the best-performing excavator? Your search ends here. We tested the Volvo EC350E and EC380E against a leading competitor in three different tests: trenching, truck loading and lifting capacity at reach. The results show a 20% difference in cost-per-ton, a 15% difference in tons-per-hour and a 12% difference in both operating costs and lifting capacity. See the results and put an end to your search for the best excavator.