Shell Lubricants is introducing two heavy-duty diesel engine oils, the Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40. Both oils are specially formulated to bring benefits to natural gas engines, but also work just as well for other fuel types.
Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil is specially formulated to provide hardworking protection under the full range of pressures and temperatures in mobile natural gas engines as well as diesel and gasoline engines. The versatile engine oil is particularly relevant for waste haul trucks and buses operating with 100 percent compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) fueled engines.
"Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 meets the specifications for natural gas, diesel and gasoline engines, making it a true multi-vehicle engine oil that will help fleets consolidate the number of engine oils they need in their shop," said Megan Pino, Shell Rotella Global Brand Manager. "We continually look at the needs of fleets and develop engine oils to keep their vehicles performing well while helping to minimize maintenance complexities."
Natural engines, with their spark combustion, run significantly hotter than diesel engines. Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 has been specially formulated for use in natural gas-powered vehicles in order to manage their high heat and provide the necessary engine protection.
Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40 offers several key benefits:
- Advanced Piston and Engine Cleanliness - An optimized balance of detergent and dispersancy provides good piston and engine cleanliness and ensures long and efficient operation.
- Ignition System Protection - The formulation contains additives to control the deposit formulation in the combustion chamber to help prolong the life of valves and spark plugs.
- Emissions System Compatibility - The low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission vehicles.
- Suitable for Natural Gas, Diesel and Gasoline engines - Mixed fleets can benefit from using one oil for multiple engine type, thus minimizing maintenance complexity.
Specifications, approvals and recommendations for Shell Rotella T4 NG Plus 15W-40:
- API CK-4
- API SN
- Cummins CES 20092 (replacing CES 20085 which becomes obsolete December 31, 2019)
- Cummins CES 20086
- Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.
The Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty diesel engine oil is now licensed as API CK-4 service category. The engine oil is designed to meet the needs of advanced engine technologies for both on-road and off-road vehicles and equipment.
"Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty engine oil is intended for engines operating in tough, cold weather," said Megan Pino, Shell Rotella Global Brand Manager. "This low-viscosity engine oil which now meets the current CK-4 engine oil standard provides the low-temperature performance needed to keep trucks and off-highway equipment moving in harsh conditions."
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 heavy-duty engine oil is formulated with Triple Protection Plus technology. The engine oil is designed to provide protection against wear, deposits and oil breakdown and offers excellent pumpability at low operating temperatures. Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 is suitable for on-road and off-road applications requiring API CK-4 engine oil. The exclusive low ash formulation helps protect the exhaust catalysts and particulate filters found on the latest low emission diesel vehicles.
Key benefits of Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40 include:
- Outstanding Wear Performance - Advanced wear protection for long engine life.
- Excellent Deposit Control - The advanced multi-functional dispersant additives in combination with synthetic base oils provide and enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants.
- Improved Heat Resistance - The oil resists breakdown by heat to provide continuous protection throughout the service interval.
- Protection in Extreme Climates - Provides improved low temperature flow compared to a conventional SAE 15W-40.
- Emissions Systems Compatibility - Advanced low-ash formulation helps control blocking of or poisoning of exhaust after-treatment devices, helping maintain DPF service life.
Specifications, Approvals and Recommendations for Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 0W-40:
- API CK-4, CJ-4
- Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, ECF-1A
- Cummins CES 20086
- Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
- Mack EO-S 4.5
- Volvo VDS-4.5, VDS-4