Cat's new D5 dozer is packed with pushing power
Boasts more weight and horsepower, improved steering capability, and loads of technology options
The new Cat D5 offers a boost in performance and a broad choice of easy-to-use technology features to help operators get the most from their bulldozer. Nimble and responsive, it has power for dozing and finesse for grading. A fully automatic transmission provides seamless acceleration to get the job done quickly. At 170 hp and an operating weight range of 37,875 to 42,263 pounds, the new D5 dozer replaces the D6N.
Caterpillar says that the update from D6N to D5 is part of an effort to make all Cat dozer model names simpler. Over the next couple of years, the Cat dozer range will be renamed from smallest to largest – D1 to D11 – with one model per size class and no more letter modifiers like "N," "K," "T."
Next generation value
The D5 elevates the performance of the predecessor D6N with more weight and horsepower, improved steering capability and a long list of technology offerings to help operators get more work done in less time.
A fully automatic 3-speed transmission with lock-up clutch offers faster cycle times, as well as optimal power and fuel efficiency. The automatic transmission, steering improvements and enhanced powertrain controls offer new levels of steering performance and control.
The cab has been completely redesigned. Operators will find more space, multiple seat and control adjustments for optimal comfort and a new, easy-to-use 10-inch (254-mm) touchscreen operator interface. A standard High Definition rearview camera shows prominently in the main display. Overall visibility is enhanced with about 15 percent more cab glass area, plus a steeper hood angle that provides 30 percent better forward visibility to the blade and work site.
Unprecedented technology choices
Technology offerings on the D5 are led by updated, factory integrated Cat GRADE with 3D. Advanced Inertial Measuring Units (IMU) provide greater speed and accuracy without position sensing cylinders. Smaller antennas are integrated into the cab roof for even better protection and GPS receivers are mounted inside so they can be secured by locking the cab doors. A more intuitive GRADE operator interface works like a smartphone, making it easy for operators to pick up quickly. Android OS platform allows installation of custom apps for more versatility. AutoCarry is included with GRADE with 3D to automate blade lift to maintain desired blade load, improving load consistency and reducing track slip.
Additional GRADE technologies include:
- Cat GRADE with Slope Assist provides basic blade positioning assistance without added hardware or a GPS signal. Updated main display makes the system more intuitive and easier to use.
- Cat Slope Indicate is standard, showing the machine cross-slope and fore/aft orientation on the primary monitor for quick and easy reference.
- Factory Attachment Ready Option (ARO) provides optimal mounting locations, brackets, and hardware and simplifies installation of an aftermarket grade control system. The new D5 makes it easier to install any brand of grade control system, with specific mounting locations for grade control components.
In addition to GRADE features, simple on-board technologies help with top performance and quality grades. Blade Load Monitor gives real-time feedback on current vs. optimal blade load to help optimize pushing capacity. Traction Control detects track slip and temporarily reduces track power to allow the operator to adjust blade load and limit track slip. Second generation Stable Blade works seamlessly with operator blade inputs for smoother surfaces when grading manually.
Cat LINK telematics technology helps take the complexity out of managing jobsites – by gathering data generated by equipment, materials, and people – and serving it up in customizable formats.
- Product Link collects data automatically and accurately from equipment assets – any type and any brand – which can be viewed online through web and mobile applications.
- Access information anytime, anywhere with VisionLink. Cat dealers can help conﬁgure a customized subscription, available with cellular or satellite reporting or both.
- Remote Services is a suite of technologies consisting of Remote Troubleshoot and Remote Flash that helps improve your jobsite efficiency.
- Application Profile and Operator ID help you save time by saving preferred machine settings. Operator ID with Security provides an optional additional level of security by requiring an operator to enter an ID before the machine will start.
Enhanced powertrain control
The D5 helps make steering and slope work easier with advanced controls that automatically manage the powertrain and brakes. There are no extra operator inputs to think about – the built-in features just work in the background.
- Hill Descent Control maintains preselected machine speed, without using the service brakes, for added control when working downhill.
- Hill Hold automatically engages the brakes to hold position when in neutral on a slope.
- Decel Brake Pedal controls machine speed all the way to a complete stop, or for smooth inching control.
- Steering Radius Control uses steering and decel pedal input to automatically downshift for a tighter turning radius and more maneuverability.
The D5 is available in Standard or Low Ground Pressure (LGP) configurations, with either a push arm or Variable Pitch Angle Tilt (VPAT) blade. A folding VPAT blade is available to help meet regional transport width requirements. Waste, Forestry/Land Clearing and Fire Dozer configurations offer specialized factory-installed guarding and other features.
More from Earthmoving
The all-new CASE TR340B compact track loader — operating at 90 horsepower with a 3,400-pound rated operating capacity — is the most powerful radial-lift CTL in the CASE lineup. Its all-new 8-inch LCD display improves on industry-leading CASE visibility with a new backup camera that is viewable in both forward and reverse operation. The display also showcases critical operating information and "trip" details. All-new electro-hydraulic controls, managed through the display, make it easier than ever for operators to dial CASE CTLs into specific application demands. All new cab controls and joysticks make the new TR340B easy to own and operate.
Industries such as construction, mining, energy, utilities and forestry, face many challenges when it comes to tracking assets and employees. Equipment often has to be transferred between locations, or monitored while it is dormant during off seasons. Lone workers may have to travel long distances or visit multiple sites during the course of their activities. And, all of this is further complicated today with shifting supply chains and economic realities putting further strain on the bottom line.