The new ANSI A92.22 standards for Safe Use and ANSI A92.24 standards for Training published on December 10, 2018, and everyone must be fully in compliance within one year. To help equipment owners and operators be in compliance by December 10, 2019, Genie has updated its operator training programs to meet the requirements in the new standards:
- Genie Lift Pro Online Operator Training Program
- Genie Lift Pro Train the Trainer courses
- Genie Lift Pro classroom-based operator training courses
"These new standards carry with them some major changes and substantial additional requirements for training, with new requirements for supervisor training and enhanced operator training," says Scott Owyen, Genie Senior Training Manager, Terex AWP. "Genie Lift Pro courses are designed to get trainers, operators and supervisors up-to-speed with the new standards efficiently and effectively, while continuing to promote safety and the development of the proper mindset to safely operate MEWPs in today's busy work environment."
The updated Genie Lift Pro training courses utilize the same time-proven adult learning system with the addition of new content that covers:
- Machine terminology
- How to select the proper mobile elevated work platform (MEWP) selection for the application
- How to create and adhere to a safe use plan
- How to perform detailed risk assessments which include rescue planning
- Best practices for record keeping
- Occupant knowledge of machine operation and best practices safe use
"We believe that the new standards will have a positive effect on safety in our industry, and appropriate, high-quality training should be at the forefront of every employer's company plan," says Owyen. He adds: "High-quality operator training programs should take a minimum of 3–6 hours to complete, including the hands-on practical component, depending upon the number of participants in the class and equipment classifications to be covered."
In addition to the updated operator training courses, a supervisors' training course is under development. It will satisfy the training requirements for anyone who directly supervises a MEWP operator.
For more information on available training visit genielift.com/training