New Cat D6 debuts world’s first high drive electric drive dozer
Top Grading Performance, Fuel Efficiency Gains
The all-new Cat D6 dozer delivers new levels of efficiency and performance with a choice of Electric Drive or Fully Automatic power train. A redesigned purpose-built VPAT dozer offers best-in-class grading, while updated technology features help operators to be more productive from first pass to finish grade. Customer profitability is enhanced with up to 35% better fuel efficiency and reduced service and maintenance costs. An all-new cab resets the standard in comfort, while a range of configuration choices helps customers optimize machine performance for business needs. At 215 hp (161 kW) and an operating weight range of 47,949 - 53,126 lbs (21 749 - 24 097 kg), the new D6 replaces the versatile D6T bulldozer.
Advanced Power Train Choice
The D6 XE is the world's first high drive Electric Drive dozer, offering up to 35% better fuel efficiency and increased agility compared to the previous 3-speed model D6T. Constant power to the ground, continuous push and greater maneuverability mean faster cycle times, making Electric Drive a top choice to achieve the highest level of productivity and fuel efficiency. Added D6 XE productivity and reduced fuel cost mean customers looking for these benefits can expect to see payback of the added investment over a D6 in less than two years.
The D6 XE features a next-generation Electric Drive system that offers high performance along with added durability. Simplified diagnostics and the serviceability advantages of a high drive dozer help reduce service and maintenance costs.
The D6 is powered by a 4-speed fully automatic transmission that provides increased productivity and up to 20% better fuel efficiency versus its 3-speed predecessor. The fully automatic D6 reduces momentary hesitation when the traditional machine shifts, so more momentum and drawbar power are maintained through the entire push. Caterpillar engineers designed the auto shift to work up and down the entire working range, so power to the ground and fuel consumption are optimized for a greater percentage of the time. An added gear between first and second ensures more seamless shifting.
Both power trains offer unprecedented ease of operation. The operator simply sets the ground speed and the dozer continuously optimizes for maximum power and efficiency based on load. With Electric Drive, there are no gears to shift. The fully automatic 4-speed power train optimizes the transmission without the operator having to worry about shifting.
Better, Faster Grading
Finish jobs faster by grading at higher speeds with a new purpose-built Variable Power Angle Tilt (VPAT) dozer. The newly designed structure is stronger, yet lighter, so machine balance is optimized for grading without the need for a rear implement or counterweight. A wide gauge LGP VPAT design, with 36" centered shoes, puts more track on the ground to achieve 5 psi (0.73 kPa) ground pressure. Wider VPAT blade and class-leading range of motion improve performance, especially in trenching and backfilling applications. A new optional finish grading undercarriage has 10 bottom rollers for smoother grades at higher speeds, even in difficult surfaces like sand and gravel.
Technology Choices for Your Business
Increase overall jobsite productivity by up to 50 percent with a choice of Cat Connect GRADE technologies. Technologies range from standard Slope Indicate to full factory-integrated GPS, all supported by Caterpillar and Cat dealers.
- Technology offerings on the D6/D6 XE are led by an updated, factory integrated Cat GRADE with 3D system. The new 10-inch touch screen offers a more intuitive operator interface that works like a smart phone, making it easy for operators to pick up quickly. The system uses advanced Inertial Measuring Units (IMU), which provide greater speed and accuracy without position sensing cylinders. Smaller antennas are integrated into the cab roof for even better protection. AutoCarry is included with Grade with 3D to automate blade lift to maintain desired blade load, improving load consistency and reducing track slip.
Additional GRADE technology choices include:
- Cat Slope Indicate is standard, showing the machine cross-slope and fore/aft orientation on the primary monitor for quick and easy reference.
- Cat GRADE with Slope Assist provides basic blade positioning assistance without the need for added hardware or a GPS signal.
- Factory Attachment Ready Option (ARO) provides optimal mounting locations, brackets, and hardware and simplifies installation of an aftermarket grade control system. The new D6/D6 XE makes it easier to install any brand of grade control system, with specific mounting locations for grade control components. The position of the main display and grade control display can be swapped so operators can choose their preferred location.
Cat LINK telematics technology helps take the complexity out of managing job sites - by gathering data generated by equipment, materials, and people - and serving it up in customizable formats.
- Product Link collects data automatically and accurately from equipment assets - any type and any brand - which can be viewed online through web and mobile applications.
- Access information anytime, anywhere with VisionLink. Cat dealers can help conﬁgure a customized subscription, available with cellular or satellite reporting or both.
Greater Durability, Reduced Service and Maintenance Costs
The new D6/D6 XE is designed specifically to reduce service and maintenance costs by up to 12 percent, with updated components, longer service intervals and fewer scheduled maintenance tasks. Easy access to grouped service points and regular maintenance items, plus a new ladder at the back of the machine, help reduce time spent on routine maintenance and inspection.
Undercarriage updates are designed to save money and maximize service life. A new Heavy Duty Extended Life undercarriage features Positive Pin Retention pins and link improvements for up to 20% more seal life in high impact conditions. Common structures for Heavy Duty and SystemOne undercarriage enable changes from one to the other.
A new Cat C9.3B diesel engine has a redesigned fuel system that provides greater durability and more accurate fuel delivery. Elimination of the NOx Reduction System and a simplified single engine Electronic Control Module (ECM) help increase reliability.
New Standard in Cab Comfort
A completely redesigned cab raises the standard in comfort and productivity. A brand new 10-inch touchscreen display provides an easy-to-use operator interface. The standard air suspension seat is wider with added backward adjustment, plus the entire armrest adjusts independent of the seat for customized comfort. Heated/cooled leather seat options are available, and all offer a variety of seat adjustments to customize cushion length, head rest position, lumbar support and seat tilt. More storage spaces have been added throughout the cab.
The new dozers are easy to operate too - with Electric Drive or the Fully Automatic power train, operators just need to set the ground speed and go. The machine optimizes performance and efficiency with no added shifting required. Agile turning, especially on the D6 XE, mean faster cycle times and more ability to work in smaller spaces.
Distributed cab heating/cooling, with automatic temperature and blower control, circulates air more effectively around the operator. Less air directed toward windows helps reduce fogging/frosting. Integrated ROPS and 15% more overall glass area help increase visibility.
Equipped for the Job The D6/D6 XE is available in VPAT or push arm configurations with standard or two widths of Low Ground Pressure (LGP) undercarriage. A variety of blade types, track shoe widths and rear attachments enable the machine to be optimized for primary types of work to be done. Waste Handling and Forestry arrangements also are available, equipped from the factory with specialized guarding, seals and other features to help ensure long life in harsh applications.