Michelin North America, Inc., is introducing the first-ever "3-star" 18.00R33 tire on the market for rigid dump trucks (RDT). A star rating is the industry's indicator of load capacity for a given dimension as defined by the Tire and Rim Association. The new MICHELIN XTRA LOAD GRIP and the MICHELIN XTRA LOAD PROTECT will allow users to increase load capacity by 11 percent(1) or accommodate more distance per hour to maximize productivity.
"Quarry managers demand continuity of operations," said Jake Thompson, Michelin B2B North America mining marketing manager. "Rigid dump trucks are expected to move as much material as possible by moving faster or by carrying more load. This robust Michelin tire provides a solution that maximizes productivity and output of the quarry while delivering traction, damage resistance and increased tire life."
The new MICHELIN XTRA LOAD tire is available for two surface RDT applications:
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD PROTECT for hard, sharp, abrasive conditions on flat, dry surfaces, where the priority is protection and damage resistance — conditions often found in quarries and construction sites. This application is for customers who want to carry up to 11 percent more load(1) or increase the distances they carry up to a maximum speed of 21 mph(2). With a 7 percent longer wear life(3), the revolutionary tread pattern contains a greater volume of tread rubber(4) and has better load distribution across the contact patch. This tire has interlocking blocks and improved heat dissipation, which reduces the temperature in the tread area by up to 17 degrees Fahrenheit(5). Corrosion-proof cables within the tire structure increase aggression resistance.
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD GRIP for soft, loose, muddy ground conditions in mining and quarrying operations on slopes and inclines, where the priority is high grip and traction. A reinforced casing gives the tire an 11 percent higher payload(1), or an increase of 12 tons in load capacity per machine(1) — a huge increase in productivity when multiplied by the number of cycles made daily. The tread comprises 30 percent more biting lug edges, which improves braking, cornering and accelerating. The tire has the ability to handle speeds up to 21 mph thanks to cooler internal running temperatures(4). The tire also provides 5 percent longer wear life(7), with more rubber in the contact patch and improved damage resistance with corrosion-isolating steel cables.
Productivity is a function of load and distance covered in an hour, as measured by Ton Miles per Hour (TMPH). For the new XTRA LOAD GRIP, the TMPH is increased by at least 22 percent(7) and 36 percent depending on the specific fitment compounding, when compared with previous Michelin ranges(4). For the XTRA LOAD PROTECT, the TMPH is increased by at least 15.8 percent(3) and 13.3 percent depending on the specific fitment compounding, when compared with previous Michelin ranges. This extended load and speed capability will allow users to optimize machine cycles and increase productivity. Greater volume of tread rubber(8) in contact with the ground contributes to better load distribution, improved wear resistance and increased tire life.
- Compared to the Bridgestone VMTP and VRLS tires and MICHELIN X QUARRY S tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary. (Sources: Bridgestone OTR 2018 Data Book and Michelin 2017 Data Book.)
- Compared to MICHELIN X QUARRY S tires. Actual results may vary.
- Compared to MICHELIN X QUARRY S tires in size 18.00R33, based on field tests measurements and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
- Compared to MICHELIN X QUARRY S tires. Based on field test measurements from 2015 to 2017 and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
- Measurement certified by the Michelin Center of Technology, comparison of MICHELIN XTRA LOAD Protect with MICHELIN X QUARRY S.
- Compared to MICHELIN X QUARRY S tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary.
- Based on customer feedback on MICHELIN XTRA LOAD GRIP tire in size 24.00R35 based on field tests of 140 tires in 10 countries at 23 customer sites during 2016 and 2017. Compared to MICHELIN X TRACTION SC and MICHELIN XDT B tires. Actual results may vary.
- Compared to MICHELIN XDT tires in size 18.00R33 and based on field test measurements and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
- Compared to MICHELIN XDT A4 tires and MICHELIN X TRACTION SC tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary.
As one of the latest models in the R2-Series excavator lineup, the Bobcat® E88 delivers durability, performance and quality for more productivity. Technically speaking, it's a compact machine, but it brings big performance with its redesigned engine and optimized lift performance, plus undercarriage and counterweight improvements. All these enhancements make this excavator one of the highest-performing models in its size class. With impressive over-the-side lift capacity, you can dig with greater confidence over the side of the machine. Put it to the test against similar models from other manufacturers. You'll see that the E88 can outwork the competition.